Saturday, December 2, 2006

Mexico - Calderon assumes office amidst protests

Anyone who followed the news yesterday saw film of the protests in the chamber of the Mexican Federal Legislature - La Camara de Diputados - against the swearing in of Felipe Calderon as El Presidente of the nation. Opponents tried to prevent Calderon from reaching the podium to take the oath of office. And this was all broadcast en vivo for the world to see.

As I am often want to do, I watched the newscast last night on Univision, one of the many Spanish-language newscasts available here in Los Angeles. (This not only helps me improve my Spanish, but its amazing to see the difference in what is covered between the Spanish and English language media.)

During one moment I saw someone I knew in the crowd on the floor -- the president of the Mexican Green Party El Partido Verde Ecologista de Mexico (PVEM), Jorge Emilio Gonzalez. This made me think I wanted to know what was going on with the Mexican Greens.

Currently on the PVEM web site, there is a polite press release about moving ahead for the good of the country. There is always 'backstory' of course, so I'm making inquiries and hope to have more in a few days. Stay tuned.

No comments: